Monday, June 25, 2012

DIY owl canvas

I have been eyeing the owl canvas at Target for a while now, for my daughter's room.   The owls seem to be in right now and we fell for it too.  I have done several little project for the theme without buying much made items...  And this is one I did not want to pay an arm and a leg for!  I saw a blog on pinterest, and she had the template for the owls, so I went to work and I must say it was fun!  I'm looking forward to making a few more.   
I started with a plain canvas that I bought on sale from Joann's : 

I decided to paint it rather than covering it with scrapbook paper, much easier and I love painting.  Here is a pic of the color , half way painted : 
After it dried for several hours, I started to pick the patterns for my owl,  I had pretty scrapbook paper from a pack and since my daughter's room is pink and blue, I tried to match it and here is some of the colors : 
After cutting the outlines,  I traced it all on the scrapbook paper and set it up before I actually started to glue it all together with Mod Podge:

I then used a few layers of Mod Podge and let it dry before trying to hang it in her room.  Here is the final result!  It looks great and now I will work on two smaller canvases that I also bought on sale to put on the sides of this one with cute little birds!


I hope you enjoy it!